1 July 2021

Oh Canada...

 


By the light of the setting sun, this Canada Day hits it's apex as I can hear the fireworks go off around the normally quiet neighborhood I call home. 

Should I be angry that they callously celebrate a national holiday amidst so much sorrow for the Indigenous people who have called this land home long before any of our ancestors did? Or do too many of them live in the ignorance we all claimed to just weeks ago. The stories and truth about residential "schools" have been out there for a long time, but we turned a blind eye to the heart wrenching truth because it wasn't taught to us or it didn't cross our paths. We didn't have to live it because we live in privilege and no government ever tried to dismantle our family in the name of assimilation. I don't know, I'm angry at the church and the leaders who enacted these policies, but more than that I'm angry at myself for my own lack of understanding when it comes to the depths of sorrow experienced by the First Nations people in my name. Can we do better? Of course we can and while I know some things we see are purely performative, business and influence often meet at the corner of opportunity and social development, but I won't be so cynical...yet. What we know now needs to be actionable going forward. Money talks, donate to Indigenous charities, support Indigenous creators and educate yourself more and more. The Truth in Truth and Reconciliation is out there and we have a part to play in making tomorrow a better Canada for everyone. I've been thinking, I hope you have been too. Let's do the heavy lifting, next year can look a whole lot different but it's not gonna be easy. Stay the course, the winds will blow heavy and the news will be tough but together we can be better and do better. My own ignorance was no excuse, but now I must act and my dollars will tell that tale, my voice will direct that song and my life will be more blessed because I stand with those who deserve righteous deliverance. Tax the churches, end the court battles and enact all the recommendations of the Truth & Reconciliation Commission.

Done..but not done at all.

Polk

No comments:

Post a Comment