7 February 2016

Beer of the Week - January 31st to February 6th

Sunday morning is usually a slow burn for us here at the Polkaroo manor. I work almost every weekend, but usually close the store on Sundays, so I don't have to be at work until noon. This week is the exception to that rule as it is the busiest day of the year for us in the food service industry, Super Bowl Sunday. So many damn chicken wings to cook. It's a great day for me, to be honest, and I look forward to it all year.
This week, I talked about low ABV (alcohol by volume) beers that will allow you to have a few without getting hammered while watching the big game and having to deal with the hangover the next day at work. I have many of them in my fridge chilling right now for when I get home from work and look forward to enjoying the spectacle. I was not really surprised then when it was a low alcohol beer that caught my eye and taste buds.
It is a recurring theme on my blog that I have really come to enjoy stouts and this week I had two that were just outstanding. First up was my 2014 Amsterdam Brewing Tempest Imperial Stout. I bought two of these last year and was disciplined enough to actually age one for 15 months in my cold cellar. It was an amazing beer that really smoothed out with aging and I noticed some more nuances in the flavour profile had changed since I first tried it. The only disappointment was that they no longer are making this, so I cannot buy the 2015 version to age and compare. Hopefully it will make a comeback in 2016.
My other standout stout is my choice for Beer of the Week (BOW) for a variety of reasons. Hailing from one of my favourite breweries, Beau's All Natural Brewing Company, The Tom Green Stout is a wonderfully put together beer that has found its way into my heart. It is a milk stout, and the organic lactose and oats make for a real creamy mouthfeel. Fantastic dark colour with a thick tan head.  It has a bitter coffee bean smell and flavour that doesn't quit. A chocolate note comes on nicely in the middle, while the finish is dry, hoppy and outstanding. The roasted malt flavours are so damn delectable that I went out the next day and grabbed a couple more to keep on hand for a treat.It is only a 5.0% ABV, so despite its big flavour, it is a sessionable stout. Usually this style is a little bigger in the alcohol department, so it is nice to find one that is so crushable.
It feels like I am constantly praising Beau's for their beers and it is with good cause. they keep coming out with innovative and different approaches to new and old styles. This week I had three different beers from their menu and each one was fantastic. The Bogwater (a Gruit) and Grisette (Belgian Style Ale) were great examples of what a brewery can do if they let their brew master's imaginations take hold and create something out of the ordinary.
 So it is without trepidation that I congratulate Beau's for yet another BOW and hope you can get your hands on The Tom Green Beer so that you can see what a fine brew it really is. I can't wait to see what they come up with next.
Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment