25 December 2018

2018 Polkie Awards - A preview

 

2018 is winding down and that means it's time for this old Polk to gather his notes and present the 4th Annual Polkie Awards. Celebrating the best (and worst) of what poured into my glass in the last year, it is with great joy that I will give out kudos and applause to the finest in Ontario Craft Beer. Over 6 days and a myriad of styles, we will use the Instagram and YouTube reviews I did to help me find those beers that stood out from the rest and made me smile with every sip. The schedule will be the same as last year and is a  follows :




Dec 27th : The Best of the Rest (A Grab Bag of styles) (2017 Post Here)
Dec 28th : Sour, Farmhouse Ales/Saisons and Belgian Styles (2017 Post Here)
Dec 29th : Porters, Stouts, Imperial and Barrel Aged Stouts (2017 Post Here)
Dec 29th: My Least Favourite Beer of 2017 (2017 Post Here)
Dec 30th : Pale Ales, IPAs and DIPAs (2017 Post Here)
Dec 31st : The Ten (2017 Post Here)


  The first 5 days are pretty straightforward as I will give you the best of each style, in my humble opinion, and talk a little about each beer on the list. The final day is a little more fun for me as it is not just about a score out of 5 or just the flavour and texture of what I poured in my tulip. The Ten represents my 10 most memorable beers of 2018, the ones that stood out for a variety of reasons, some for what they represented, or the experience when they were had and some because they were so outstanding I can still imagine them to this day.
  While I know and understand the inherent problem with any beer awards, it is with joy that I revisit 2018 and savour what was an amazing year in beer by any standards. Over 720 different beers were part of my trip around the sun and that was barely scratching the surface of what came out in Ontario this year. There were many difficult choices and I will tell you I struggled (I know, a really hard job, right?) with leaving some world class stuff off the lists. I do hope you will enjoy, argue and maybe agree once in awhile with my choices as the year ends on a very, very high note.


Cheers!


Polk

 :

No comments:

Post a Comment