21 March 2021

Thoughts about beer - Sunday Morning edition

   I think about beer, a lot. More than I drink it, I ponder it, I wonder about it and I talk about it to no one in particular and everyone in general. I research hops and styles, malts and adjuncts; I read blogs, books and watch videos. I immerse myself in the brewing process and the science of beer, albeit as an outsider looking in, I have no real wish to work in beer. I'm a better drinker than I am a creator of that which I love so dear. 

  Having said all that, I have some things that I'd like to see when it comes to my beer and the places that make it.

1. Labels - Clear and concise information. Ingredients, types of hops used and any adjuncts used in addition to the usual water, malted barley and yeast. What kind of malt? What yeast strain did they use? I know not a lot of folks care about this, but I think it can help fuel the love we have for beer when we know what's going into it. Finding out how a certain hop tastes when I drink a single hopped beer is one of my favourite things and I endeavour to educate myself further when I see something new on a label as an ingredient. To me, what goes into making great beer should be part of what we can see on every label. Nickel Brook nails it every time and that's part of what keeps me coming back for every new release. I just wanna know everything. Having said that, while I personally could give a second thought to my caloric intake when it comes to beer, that seems to be a push from some regulators and beer drinkers, so we will see where that goes. 

2. Styles - Be what you say you are. Seriously, this happens more than I'd like it too. A lot of consumers pick up new beers based on what they previously liked in terms of taste and if you call your beer a New England IPA and deliver a bitter, unfinished mess, it will turn people off in a hurry. Call your beer exactly what it is and skip the marketing mumbo-jumbo. Accuracy helps people make decisions and can bring a returning and recurring customer for life if they can trust you.

3. Consistency - The one thing the big boys of beer have going for them is that their beer tastes the same no matter where it's brewed around the world. They understand that the blandness of their most inoffensive offering may not be for everyone, but that the near perfection in delivering it every time is something to behold. I get that craft beer is about experimenting and pushing the envelope of what beer can be, but it should also be about delivering a product to your customer that they can count on. One-offs aside, a seasonal or core offering should not vary from batch to batch, nor should it be okay with people who drink it. I don't buy products from certain breweries because they have shown themselves to be less than authentic and responsible about owning their mistakes and poor brewing techniques. Beer isn't any different than any other food or drink, keep it above board and on point.

4. Be part of your community - For whatever reason, perhaps the communal nature of beer drinking itself\, we expect our local breweries to be a part of the larger community around them. Whether it is participating in events, brewing beer and donating money to causes in need or being on the right side of histroy when it comes to inclusion, diversity and equality, we seek to have our beer makers be better corporate citizens than perhaps any other business. I work in the restaurant industry and my particular brand does zero in the charity or community side of things and it affects our sales in no way at all. But we demand more of our beer and for me, that's a good thing. Now, I know not all of them really get into it, but even if it's just a surface of respectability that makes them do some good, it is a start.

5. Engage with your fans - As a big consumer of social media and an open book when it comes to my life, I get that the online world can be overwhelming at times. There are a lot of negative folks out there and to be honest, I've learned to not be bothered with what other people think of me online and the mute button works wonders for my mental health. Of course, I am not a professional writer or journalist, just a wordy drunk with a laptop and a smartphone, so I can step away much easier than a PR person for a brewery can. But they do and should encourage feedback from their customers and utilize the love their fans have for their product and premises to lift up the brand in a positive way. Some breweries have outstanding social media managers who know how to engage with the public and make them feel like they are part of something special. Having your social media personality be reflective of your breweries values is something that people notice and appreciate, doing it right can be the best soft promotion of all.

  A couple of thoughts on this Sunday afternoon while I sip away the day and wonder what my next pint will be...

Cheers.

Polk



No comments:

Post a Comment