25 March 2021

Good Monster - On Work and Rest


 Dystopia tastes better than I thought it would.

Patio drinkin' with Collective Arts Brewing Good Monster 8.0% New England DIPA...again.

It's lovely out here, the birds are singing their end of the day songs, the sun rests into the back forty and I give myself a little reward in the middle of a 9 straight day work "week". I sometimes struggle with my inability to say no when it comes to overworking. Is it fear of losing a job? Everything I've always held onto as a working man is that you go in every day and never, ever miss a shift. I haven't had a sick day in 30 plus years of full time employment and that used to be a badge of twisted honour that I now know is more of a serious issue I need to address with myself than I thought. I routinely push myself to work more than anyone else, longer shifts, no breaks or lunch and it is wearing on me. Beer helps, but beer should be about fun, not soothing a beaten body and psyche. I don't know, I don't think I can change that much, it's so engrained in who I am to just keep going even when everything is not okay. We work so hard to get where we are and even now I can't stop and enjoy it because of the fear it may all go away if I slow down for a moment. Work trumps everything else in my life and has for the better part of it. I know folks here think beer is what I'm all about, but if you knew me in real life, away from the shiny pics of pints, you would know a man who slogs through his days on the edge because he is always worried he isn't working hard enough or long enough. It's a complicated thing and maybe a random beer pic on a ransom March Tuesday isn't the proper forum for working through stuff, but to be honest, the beer led me to discover a whole lot about myself I never knew, opened up my mind to write about far more than what I taste and in the end has been a catalyst for some positive change. I know I need to do more away from it, I'm trying and someday I may even slow down and see how the other half lives. 

We're here for a good time, not a long time....

Polk

No comments:

Post a Comment