20 January 2022

2021 - A Year in Beer

  

  746 beers reviewed.
  128 Breweries.
  1 long year in the books.
  
  2021 was another pandemically challenged year, providing some respite as the summer and fall almost felt like we were heading somewhere good before the current state of affairs occurred and Omicron wiped out any progress made in the last two years. While I'm not here to discuss public policy and government failures to protect and curb the worst of this time, I have to acknowledge that the experience of drinking a beer in a bar or taproom has certainly been curtailed and altered enough to be impactful on our perceptions of some things. So with that out of the way, lets take a look back at my favourite beers by style with some caveats...

1) No repeat winners, let's face it, I drink enough Headstock that it would always top my West Coast IPA chart and that's not really why we drink all these different beers, we want the variety and I want to be able to recognize that effort. 
2) If I do happen to repeat a winner from 3 or 4 years ago or even last year, I'mma let it go because who can remember that far back and I'm not wading through 5 years of posts for that info.
3) If I wasn't able to try more than 5 different options from any one style, I left it out for the most part unless I felt the beer in question was especially noteworthy.
4) Categories are fluid when it comes to IPAs, some labelled as NEIPAs were clearly not and some that were just slapped with an IPA sticker were sometimes NEIPAs...I'll not get into semantics, it is what it is and I'm okay with where it all fell out.
5) Everything I do is done with the knowledge that I don't really know much, but I know what I like and that's what this whole dang thing is about.
  
Before we get into it all, here's a breakdown of the top 20 Most Reviewed in 2021 by Brewery. They alone account for almost 65% of what I was talking about, being local matters, being loyal to Trusted Breweries matters even more,...


1
  Collective Arts (Toronto)597.91%
2Great Lakes456.03%
3Nickel Brook445.90%
4Collective Arts
385.09%
5-tClifford304.02%
5-tMerit304.02%
7-tFairweather293.89%
7-tSawdust City293.89%
9Muskoka192.55%
10-tWellington182.41%
10-tGateway City182.41%
12-tBellwoods172.28%
12-tThird Moon172.28%
14Grain & Grit152.01%
15Henderson131.74%
16-tBadlands121.61%
16-tLeft Field121.61%
18-tPeople's Pint111.47%
18-tSpearhead111.47%
18-tDominion City111.47%

So, now lets get on with the gettin' on and showcase my favourite pints from 2021, listed by beer name, brewery and finally alphabetically by style. Also noted is the amount of times a particular brewery appears on this year's Polkies...

Here we go... 

Ol' Woody Alt
Sawdust City
Altbier
Lone Wine
Sawdust City (2)
Barleywine
Tennesse Imperial Porter
Clifford
Barrel Aged Porter
2021 Titania
Sawdust City (3)
Barrel Aged Stout
Duvel 666
Duvel
Belgian Blonde Ale
Chimay Grande Barrel Reserve
Chimay
Belgian Dark Ale
Heavy Draft
Red Barn 
Belgian Golden Strong Ale
South Valley
Gateway City 
Belgian IPA
Limnerlost Bruin
Sawdust City (4)
Biere de Garde
Reunion Tour
Sawdust City (5)
Black IPA
Black Jack
Great Lakes
Black Lager
Matter of Fact
Collective Arts
Blonde Ale
Beste Bock
Cameron's
Bock
Avian Prinicpality
Dominion City
Brown Ale
Brutalism
Great Lakes (2)
Brut IPA
Saturday Night
Stack
Cream Ale
Mountain King
Royal City
Dark Ale
Double High Grade
Fairweather
Double IPA
Double Sunsplit
Dominion City (2)
Double NEIPA
Zwei Zeugan
Great Lakes (3)
Dopplebock
Dead Now
Block Three
Dubbel
English IPA
Collective Arts (2)
English IPA
SPA
Wellington
English Pale Ale
Flapdoodle
Sawdust City (6)
ESB
Lief
Farm League
Farmhouse Ale
Rouge Cuvee
Meuse
Flanders Red
Grandma's Strawberry Rhubarb
Oast House
Fruited Ale
Roses are Red
Merit
Gose
Helles Island
People's Pint
Helles Lager
Uberhopfig
Great Lakes (4)
Hopfenweisse
Nanaimo Bar
Muskoka
Imperial Porter
Burn Barrel
Clifford (2)
Imperial Stout
Roman Candle
Bellwoods 
IPA
Ever Nice
Merit (2)
Lager
Skipping Stones
Collective Arts (TO)
Lager - Mexican
Lighter
Spearhead 
Light Lager
Autumn
Anderson Craft Ales
Marzen
Diamond Park
People's Pint (2)
Mild
Milskshark Banana
Bellwoods (2)
Milkshake IPA
Gordie Mortis
Third Moon/Great Lakes (5)
NEIPA
Pinion
Little Beasts 
Pale Ale
Kils
Third Moon (2)
Pilsner - Czech
Time Traveller
Collective Arts  (TO) (2)
Pilsner - German
Hey You Guys
People's Pint (3)
Porter
ST. Arnoldus
New Limburg
Quad
Amber of the North
Spearhead (2)
Red Ale
Saison de la Meuse
Meuse (2)
Saison
Bells & Whistles
Clifford (3)
Session IPA
Mimosa Sour
Collective Arts (3)
Sour
O'Neill
Left Field
Stout
Team Tett
Collective Arts  (TO) (3)
Table Beer
Rube Goldbeer
Henderson Beer Co.
Tripel
Succession
WIllibald Farm 
Triple IPA
Abzug
Collective Arts  (TO) (4)
Vienna Lager
Old Times
Collective Arts (TO) (5)/Great Lakes (6)
West Coast IPA
Obscured by Clouds
Clifford (4)/Muddy York
Wheat

  I used to write a thing about every beer on these lists, but that's a lot, even for me. Suffice it to say I had a lot of fun going over each post from last year, I actually read what I wrote about every beer to try and get a sense of it's impact on my memory and at the time I was drinking it. That's why I only post beers when I have them, I am trying to capture life as it happens, a snapshot of where I am when that first sip hits my lips every day. I take my own thoughts with a grain of salt too, taste is very personal and while I certainly have consumed enough beer to know a thing or two, I am just a drunk with a lot of words who enjoys a good beer or three. 
  Looking forward to 2022 and a whole lot of talking about beer, life and so much more that I cannot even imagine as this year unfolds. It's been a little more than 6 years since I started writing and while I may struggle to get it all out there at times, I'm gonna keep trying because when I do finally hit that "Publish" button, I feel better about myself and more comfortable in my own skin. See y'all around the internet for now and at a taproom near you....hopefully sooner and safer than we know it is now.
\Stay strong and thanks for following along all these years.

Polk


2 comments:

  1. Glad to see Spearhead Lighter Lager made you list. It is my go to light beer. Thanks for sharing your insight into all of these worthy brews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on my friend. You keep pushing 'publish' and we will keep reading. Cheers!

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete