13 June 2020

Here I Am - Inspired by Merit Brewing


  I often ponder being Canadian. I used to say I was proud to be Canadian, our healthcare, while not perfect, was not dependent on having insurance or money. That we were better than our cousins to the south when it came to a whole host of  social issues and just that general smugness that comes from being part of the Great White North. Lots of learning as I get older and I know that I'd be more accurate to say I'm lucky to be Canadian. Lucky to have been born here to good parents, lucky to be a white male, that forgives a whole host of shit that would have had different outcomes if I wasn't just that and lucky that I have the opportunity to change how I see the world, how to make it better and use this platform to lift up other folks. It's a good time to change your perspective, the shades of Canada as a perfect place need to be raised and the institutional racism against people of colour and especially our shameful past and present treatment of the indigenous population needs to be laid bare, addressed and fixed in order for us to have some of that pride restored. This country is home to and was built by the hands and sweat of immigrants, on the backs of the people who were here first and with the labour of those forced by colour or race to do so.
  Just a little bit of my mind as I hold this new Merit Brewing release, Here I Am, in my hand and marvel at just how fucking lucky I really am. I get to drink some of the finest beers in the country and they come minutes from my home. I'm privileged to be able to afford them and this place and I know that and feel it every day. Merit does good stuff around Hamilton, Tej and Spinney bring heart and soul to everything they do and I am proud to call them my friends. The beer? A 6.3%  Hazy IPA with orange and grapefruit pith and dank pine on the back, it's damn good.
  Sometimes the beer inspires me, I hope I can keep that going. Cheers! 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment