15 March 2020

On Life Right Now...

  Things are different now.
  There is little doubt the current pandemic outbreak of Covid-19 will not be something that passes by in a couple of weeks or even months and it will bring changes to how we live and do the things we took for granted not a week ago. Worried and anxious, pondering what to do next, I am hopeful in the way most Canadians are that we are listening to the medical community and trying to get ahead of this thing. I am hopeful that the initial panic buying will subside and rational people will return to some semblance of stocking up with an eye to not hoarding or depriving people in need. But most of all I am hopeful that we can come out the other side of this in the months ahead with a sense of humble awareness that we must do better in all things. We must find ways to support those who need help when sickness or disaster strikes, personally or in a larger community, to be able to stay home and deal with it without fear of losing their place in the world or going hungry. Paid sick days will be a point of discussion and we need to make sure our elected officials know this as we go forward. Full time workers in retail and food service are among the largest sectors that usually have no access to a paid sick day in any form and with most making minimum wage or just above, cannot afford to miss even one shift without jeopardizing their financial health.
   Working sick was a badge of honour for me not even two years ago, I proudly would proclaim that after 30 plus years of full time work I had never taken a sick day in my life and was often condescending to those who did. Let me tell you that I have learned in the last few years as I get older and see my friends and family find themselves caring for elderly relatives or dealing with their own health scares that there is nothing brave or smart about putting yourself in that position to keep your employer happy. It is difficult for me to let go, but I have come round to being an advocate for those who work with and for me to take a day if they need it. I watch for signs of mental and physical health issues and offer whatever I can to help the people who I have responsibility for. As I approach 50, I realise that my wisdom should also be tempered with compassion and sympathy that I never had from some of those whom I worked for.
  During what is to be a drastically changed world in the coming year, I hope we can find some humanity and lean hard into caring about more than just ourselves. The world is hurting right now and without us coming together to do what must be done, it will go on much longer than it should. Following the advice and direction of medical professionals and those managing this crisis is imperative to give us a shot at flattening the curve and acceleration of the infection. If missing some events and having to forgo things for a few weeks or months means helping to make that happen, then it is imperative we do so, with an eye to a future where we can once again hug and shake the hands of those we meet. Vigilance and dedication to being a part of the solution is our only way forward. We cannot stop the virus yet, but we can mitigate its spread and give our scientists a chance at a vaccine and a cure for those already afflicted.
 So know that no one is alone, even though we are apart. The whole world is in this together and while my own mind may feel the darkness and pessimism of a nihilist, my heart tells me we can do this. I write when I need to, when my thoughts get to heavy I feel compelled to let them out and then I feel better inside. I'm here with you and may we share virtual pints until the time comes when we can share real ones again.
Stay calm, stay safe and stay home if you can.
Oh, and wash your damn hands.


Polk.

No comments:

Post a Comment