9 February 2021

#GLBDay 2021 - A celebration of all things GLB


  Back in 2016, I was pretty new to craft beer, really just learning and exploring every style with eyes wide open and an enthusiasm that had me always searching for the next new beer. Few independent breweries in Ontario had a presence at my local LCBO, most had a core beer or two and maybe the odd seasonal, but when I discovered all the things Great Lakes Brewery was putting out on such a pace, I was hooked. The old school 500ml bottle were like manna from heaven and the IPAs were some of my first true loves when it came to the style, especially my one and only at the beginning, Pompous Ass English Ale. A bready toasted malt body with notes of toffee and tea, slightly bitter and dry with an inviting aroma that hooked me from the first sip. It led to Lake Effect and Octopus Wants to Fight, Canuck and Apocalypse Later and a whole host of styles I had never dreamed existed. To say GLB was there at the beginning is understating it a whole lot. 

  I discovered, by happenstance that year, that their birthday was February 12th and thought to myself that it would be a funny little thing to drink and post nothing but Great Lakes beers on social media that day, taking it off work to make it a right proper holiday and all. They had enough presence in the LCBO that it worked out well for this neophyte and I coined the hashtag #GLBDay because it just rolled so good. It was the beginning of a series of beautiful new friendships for me, opening my eyes to a wider world of beer and from being invited to brew a beer for their 30th anniversary with other beer writers to the countless pints had when I dropped into the taproom to pick up new releases and up to the start of home delivery this year to my area, we have grown together and I've always appreciated the support from the team at GLB. It may be a business, but for a lot of us, it feels like a part of our family.

  This year Great Lakes is really kicking #GLBDay up a notch and I am so glad to be able to see other people sharing in the joy that is good beer. We may all be supporting our local breweries now, especially in these trying times, but for one day, this Friday February 12th, everyone's local brewery can be GLB. They are available all across the province, in grocery stores, Beer Stores, the LCBO and beyond. A 24 of Canuck remains unchallenged as the best deal in Ontario Craft beer at $54 for two dozen tall boys of one of the finest Pale Ales around. Their new brewpub, just announced, will no doubt drive more innovation and creativity and the party to open that second location will be most epic when it can finally happen. From simple lagers to bold barleywines, from session IPAs like Sunnyside to monster Double IPAs like Robohop, they've got you and I covered.

  So, I hope to see everyone, virtually of course this year, as we raise a glass or 4 to our friends at Great Lakes. To this birthday and many more to come, may #GLBDay become an annual holiday we can all celebrate and embrace as a bright spot in the middle of winter.

  Stock up, rinse your glasses and get ready to drink together, apart.

Cheers!


Polk

Great Lakes Brewing website can be found here :  greatlakesbeer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment