14 June 2016

Craft Beer is my Mixtape and #BeerSaint

Do you remember mix tapes? Agonizing over the song selection, hoping to craft a perfect sonic progression to illustrate your mood, love or other drug. Whether it was made for that person who you wanted to pledge your undying youthful love to or a pal who you just needed to share the latest find from your favourite band, the mix tape was a way to communicate without having to say anything yourself. I miss those days but I still have oh so many of mine around here and once and a while, Mrs. Polkaroo and I will dance and laugh at the songs we used to love. My word I was a sappy guy when I was young. So many power ballads...
For even me, those days are long past and it was when I started to make gifts of beer and receive them myself that I was struck by how similar it made me feel. When I visit breweries in search of new beer, I often get a few extras for people I know. Mostly styles I know they like and sometimes stuff that I want them to try, perhaps for the first time. Crafting a mixtape took me to places in my mind that helped me express myself and I am now engaging in that same feeling when shipping beers out to long distance friends or opening the beer fridge in the Grotto to grab a pint or two for someone closer to home.
What this all means is the Gift of beer is far more than just a generous thing to do for someone, it is an expression of who you are and what you want to say to that person. Maybe it's not a three chord acoustic riff that says it, but this Bellwoods limited edition beer we're sharing means I care about you and want you to be happy. I don't think I am alone in this. We all like to make the people we cherish feel special and I like to do that with a Craft Beer.
 I know I am an emotional guy when it comes to my beer, but when my Uncle Jerry wanted to stop in to try some craft beer, it made my heart sing. He's a Corona guy, so I picked beers for him to try that would showcase a bunch of flavours that wouldn't scare him away from trying some in the future. Descendant's El Buscador, Side Launch Dark Lager and Muskoka Summerweiss were just a few that I shared with him and my Dad on that warm Saturday evening. They both found something new they liked and when Uncle Jerry brought out his guitar, I knew I had done some good. It is in the gift of beer that we can express ourselves and help show our friends and family how we feel about them without saying a thing.
Summer hasn't started and this is already a high point.
Thank you Jerry!


The end game for me is, as always, to improve my relationships with people, release the darkness I carried for so long and enjoy a pint or two without losing my head. Sharing beer is all about bringing people together and creating memories that will last forever in your heart.
Steve from Craft Beer and Bacon
saved mine with this #beersaint
moment at Bar Volo
Going forward I will be tagging anyone who gives me this wonderful gift of beer, be it a pint at a bar, a beer from their fridge or some unexpected surprise in the mail or when we meet up with the hashtag #beersaint. I chose that because they really do bring something heavenly to my life with these lovely gifts. I encourage you to use #beersaint to celebrate your friends who do this as well and perhaps we can start a movement that will bring the joy of well made, delicious Craft beer to everyone we meet.
Cheers!
Raise you glass and your standards, one beer at a time!
Share the love, #beersaint someone you think deserves thanks today!





Mrs. Polkaroo is my #beersaint every day

Keltic Devil sent me an East Coast
#beersaint package
Paul the Beer Guy became a #beersaint with this beauty from Manantler
The Big Canuck bought me a Pint for his #beersaint moment
My #beersaint share with The Big Canuck

No comments:

Post a Comment