6 December 2015

Beer of the Week - November 30th to December 5th

Beer of the Week (BOW) is a job I assigned myself to reward a particular beer for its outstanding and memorable performance. Tough work indeed. This week was a treat with the start of the Beer-vent calendar 2015. So many new and unique brews were had and when you combine that with the usual tasty offerings from my local LCBO, you have a great choice.

10 of the 21 beers I drank this week were rated a 4/5 or higher. That is a quality set and even though it is not always the highest rated beer of the week that gets my attention, this weeks BOW was too outstanding to forget.
Beau's All Natural Brewing Company has come out with their year end Best of Beau's and from it I choose Matt's Sleepy Time Belgian Imperial Stout as my BOW. It has an ABV of 8% with a little kick of 38 IBUs. I love a good stout, especially in the winter and this was a beauty. The head was the thing that grabbed me first, tan and creamy. It created an anticipation which the beer underneath it met with bells on. The flavours were rich and complex, with the dark chocolate and coffee notes being complimented by the bready, roasted malt flavour. It had a bit of a hopped up bitter end that just added to what was a really damn good beer.
One of the things I used to have a hard time with was the higher cost of quality beers. This box set comes in at $26 for four 600 ml. bottles. That's $6.50 a beer. But when you have the chance to really enjoy and explore the complex flavours they present, you realise that you really do get what you pay for. I think that is the key for me at least. The unique and well made product that a company like Beau's puts out means that I will always be getting their very best each time I pop a top and pour it in my glass.
There were two saisons, a Double India Pale ale and this Imperial Stout in the box and each one was above expectations.  Do yourself a favour and lay down the coin for it, you will be getting four well made and very enjoyable beers. I am seriously considering getting another case, they were amazing.

Next week is sure to bring even more tasty brews and that is something to look forward to.

Congratulations to Beau's and their wonderful beers. Especially Matt's Sleepy Time Belgian Imperial Stout, this weeks BOW!


No comments:

Post a Comment