28 December 2015

Polka Dot Awards 2015 #4 - Riptide Rye Pale Ale

Really just a great beer for watching the game.
Todays Polkie goes back the farthest in the year. I had this one in April and it has stuck with me all that time. Playing out in the background was the most exciting time of the year for a hockey fan, the First Round of the NHL playoffs. Nothing is better than being bombarded with multiple games every night when all the teams are fully committed and ready to win the Stanley Cup. I can barely keep up with all the action and am constantly changing between games and staying up way past my bedtime.
It is Forked River Brewing Company from London, Ontario that makes the grade from this beauty time with their Riptide Rye Pale Ale.
 This brew was a winner from the sniff. Just a malty dream with the right touch of spicy rye. It poured a slightly amber gold colour with a thin off white head, Creamy mouth feel that led to a wonderful hopped up finish. It grabbed my attention with the play between the malted barley and rye. While not a barrel aged beer, it has led me to not be afraid of the spiciness that rye can give a beer. I have really began to open up to much stronger and bold beers thanks to this brew.
I've gone on to have many barrel aged or conditioned beers this year. They can be a little intimidating when you start to experience bourbon or whisky flavours that you may not be used to. I am not a liquor drinker at all but  I am really starting to dig the robust oak and vanilla flavours that they can produce. It may be time to revisit Scotch and well made Whisky again. That's a whole other planet and one I would like to see in person.
The fact that it stayed in my memory for so long and after so many beers says something of the quality these guys put out. I have had a few more of their selections and while they were equally outstanding, it is for being such a standout that I award the #4 Polkie to Forked River and the well balanced Riptide.
Cheers and I look forward to opening the one my dad brought back from his journeys to Windsor when I enjoy a pop or two on New Year's Eve.




No comments:

Post a Comment