3 December 2019

Beer's the Thing - Tuesday Thoughts

 
My entry into drinking craft beer came rather late in life, well after my 40th birthday to be precise and as such, I cycled through the phases of being a toe-dipper, supporter, enthusiast and zealot to slowly arrive at my current state of calm indifference to what is in anyone else's glass. I remember being so damned determined to snuff out any macro beer love when I saw it and there are still times when I slip into that comfortable robe of self importance about what I'm drinking and what someone isn't. But those times are becoming fewer and fewer as I slide toward my 50s and the calm knowledge that at the end, it isn't about what is in your glass but rather the person holding it that matters the most. Being a kind person who makes time for what is right and truly important is far more a real picture of who you are than whether you drink craft beer or not. Would I rather everyone joined me at a local taproom to experience the difference a quality craft beer can make to their life? Yes, but not at the expense of judging them because of what beer they choose to drink.
  I think the kind of snobbery that pervades most craft beer folk online isn't an intentional attack on anyone who doesn't follow suit, it is rather a response to being perceived as part of an exclusive club that makes them feel a little special in a mundane world. Who doesn't want to feel cool or different while being part of something that isn't that far out of the mainstream. Beer remains a social lubricant regardless of its origin but with craft or independent beer, we get that cache of moving past what our parents drank and setting a new path. Some are trying to forge businesses, make contacts and find a way to make their now hobby pay them later and give them the freedom from the 40+ hours a week at the behest of others. Some just want to share and expand their own friend base, meeting like minded folks and partaking in brewery events put on by the brewers themselves or by an increasingly entrepreneurial Craft beer experience creators like the IGBrewCrew and tour groups around the regions.
  It has become apparent that there is indeed a divide though, between those who have been around craft beer 5 or more years and those who are recently coming to see the light. Even between social media platforms there is a massive disconnect about what is happening around this growing community. Instagram tends to lean heavy into lightness and praise, fostering a tight knit and often resulting in many real life friendships that have transcended race, culture, work and class, Twitter on the other hand is full of the more veteran contributers to the narrative of the craft and can be quite a bit more volatile, even angry when it comes to what is happening in the land of hops and barley. As an outsider, yet somehow a member of both groups (I tend to stay home and drink in peace 99% of the time), I see it first hand at any event that crosses the invisible boundaries between the two. The recent discussion of Influencers and free beer/tickets to events from craft brewers was a big deal to us but no one outside of our little corner of the beer world cares a lick. I have received many a beer gratis and tickets to events that far outnumber my ability or desire to attend hit my inbox, but it has almost never been with any strings attached. To be honest, maybe 2 times in all my 4 years writing about beer have I been asked to write something specific or have the brewery review what I was going to say before I posted it, both times I politely declined to even talk about said product.
  The culture of what is a growing part of Craft beer and the clash with those who helped usher it all in will eventually settle itself out as one continues to expand and grow along with the number of breweries who can draw in more people with an eye to supporting local businesses. The connections that the boots on the ground brewers can make with people are a huge part of what draws people in and will help keep them dialed in. They might not drink much craft outside of the few that are close to their home, but they will be fiercely loyal to a fault.
Life finds a way, I need a beer and we still have work to do.


Cheers!
Polk

No comments:

Post a Comment