24 September 2018

That Night in Toronto - Polk and the Golden Tap Awards


What a night!
From the very beginning, it seems, there was always beer. In one form or another, I have been about this libation for helping define who I was and would be. For years that was the party animal, the good time guy who threw parties almost every week and found himself with more blank spaces in his memories than actual memories most nights. Copious and unapologetically a drunk, I careened through life with little regard for myself or those around me, taking stock only to crash once again in a haze of bottles and broken promises.
 And then Craft Beer fell into my life and everything started to change.
  I've chronicled so much of that trip over the last 3 years and always aimed to do so with honesty and an openness I hoped people would understand and appreciate. I wanted the regular drinking folks like me to see that craft beer wasn't for hipsters and snobs, that it was meant for everyone who wanted to change the direction of their lives and be part of something new and special. We are in a movement at it's rise and the excitement and fervent dedication to it is palpable when you talk to anyone who has recently converted. So it is to these friends and fellow travellers I speak to when I sit down to write and on Thursday, September 13th, 2018 I felt that love come back a thousand fold.
3 of my favourite people
  The Golden Tap Awards started 16 years ago as a way to celebrate all that was great about Ontario Craft Beer. Cass Enright of Bartowel.com has been the force behind the only democratically chosen beer awards for that whole time and it is because of the open ballot process that we can all express our love for the best in the province. Five years ago he created a new category for Best beer Writer in Ontario and the very deserving winner for the first 4 years was the talented Ben Johnson of Ben's Beer Blog. Hard hitting and holding back nothing, Ben calls things as he sees them and is not afraid to challenge the status quo with an eye to always being just who he is. I will be honest and say I voted for Ben because he is among a small handful of writers in Ontario that I will stop what I am doing to read their latest release. Jordan St. John (St. John's Wort), Robin Leblanc (The Thirsty Wench) and Don Redmond (BrewHaha) are among the others and I am proud to say that I count them among my dear friends now.
  3 years ago I discovered the Golden Tap Awards and for a lark, I started a tongue in cheek campaign to dethrone the then 2 time champion. I had no illusions as to my place in the world of craft beer writing but I had a lot of fun creating slogans and poking fun at myself as the voting went on. Last year I did much the same, using my Get Polk'd campaign to little effect but having a blast doing it. Once again, I never had any thought to really winning, instead existing as the blue collar guy who wrote his little blog posts and was mildly entertaining on Twitter and Youtube.
  Over the last year or so, things have begun changing on craft beer social media as more people begin to share their love of it on the different platforms and new friendships are forged over the tubes of the internet that result in real life meetups and beer mail flying back and forth across the province. While I didn't create the Drunk Polkaroo to be craft beer specific, I applaud the rise of so many people going to help raise the level of the conversation going forward. It is to these people that I want to give hope and thanks as well.
  Winning the Golden Tap Award for Best Beer Writer meant a lot more to me than I could have ever realised and the cheer I received from the people in attendance at the Ontario Brewing Awards shocked me to my core. I was worried that no one would even notice and maybe a couple of my brewer pals would say congrats but that kind of self doubt was proven baseless as the evening was filled with amazing conversations and mutual applause as so many people were rewarded for their hard work. It was a truly special night that I will never forget and I am learning to accept that maybe I do something good for the beer drinkers of this province after all.
With Sam from Sawdust!
 I hope that my win will spur on those who are hesitant to write and share their thoughts and journey into craft beer with the world. I know that a large part of people who did vote for me was not because I am a better long form writer than any of my friends, in fact, I think it is my relentless pursuit of happiness and open positivity that lead me to this point. My poems, quirky but honest daily beer reviews for over 1000 consecutive days (and counting) on Instagram and my musings on life in the raw that resonated most with people. Talking that muggy September night with friends, old and new, I was struck by the way people were responding to what I thought was just a bunch of stuff I had rattling around in my brain. It is indeed humbling when anyone says they connected with what you wrote or that they enjoy watching your videos, it was never my idea to make it anything but a fun way to distract and enjoy myself.
  So my eternal thanks to anyone who took the time to read or watch and then make the effort to vote for me. I was stunned and even now, almost two weeks later, I struggle to define what this means to me. I went to work the next day and while it was like nothing had changed, for me everything was a little different. I am left with the feeling of overwhelming love and support and I will do my best to help raise up the next generation of writers and dreamers that are just getting started. Winning a Golden tap award means a validation at a time in my life when that rarely happens and when you talk about art, not at all. The boss may tell you you did a good job or you score a bonus or raise but to me, this plaque and the people who voted for me mean more than that ever could.
A couple of award winners with Robin from Descendants!
  Going forward I hope my winning shows people that you can contribute to the conversation, you can make a connection and a difference in the craft beer community and you can do it while remaining true to who and what you are. While I am not just about the beer anymore, it remains a driving force behind my entire philosophy. My life has been irrevocably changed because I chose to share it with the world, it is my duty to make sure I help those who want to do the same to have their voices heard.
Beer stain shirt and a happy Polk
  Thank you once again and know that everything is always a little tongue in cheek but I treasure this moment for as long as I live. There are more stories to tell, more adventures to go on and I can't  to share them with you and read all about yours. May the 2019 Golden Tap award winning beer writer race be filled with more people and I will gladly hand off the torch to a new voice next year.
  But I will not go quietly or gently into that good night so I hope we can enjoy a vigorous campaign next year in the late summer and I look forward to sharing a drink with many more of you at next years awards!


It's a Major Award


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Polk! I love that the Golden Tap Awards have a “Writer” Category, as the Bard is an integral part of the beer machine. No, you don’t make the beer but you tell the tale and with genuine joy and humility.
    And if a beer fell in the forest and nobody wrote about it... talk about your dystopian, boring as fuck futures! Congrats once again, Brother.

    ReplyDelete