18 December 2016

2016 Polkies - A preview of My Favourite Beers this year



Last year I had only begun my craft beer journey and was able to name my favourite 10 beers with little difficulty. I had tried perhaps 400 different beers in 2015 and to be honest it was only the last 3 or 4 months where I was starting to make a conscious effort to really try and experience everything that was happening in my glass.
That is not this year...this year is when everything has changed and with it, so go the Polkies, the 2nd Annual celebration of my favourite beers.
To commemorate what has been an absolute gem of a year in my life, I want to try to and give you, my friends in beer, a glimpse into what made it so damn special. My criteria is simple, the beers I pick are ones I would buy again, want to share with friends or those that have made the biggest impression on my beer life in 2016. There could be 10 beers on each list or less, depending on how each category plays out.
I hope many will be ones you can find over the next year to try for yourself and I will be looking for them myself to see how much I've changed since all of this started.
 Starting on Festivus, December 23rd, I will release a post every other day with two different styles. I put them together for convenience and will list my faves in each separately. It will culminate in My favourite 10 beers of 2016 on New Year's Eve.
I had so much fun this year and while I look forward to an even better 2017, this look back most certainly brings a smile to my face. The "research" was just this side of heaven and I can't wait to share the results with you.


Cheers!
Raise your Glass and your standards
One Beer at a time.
 




Sunday December 23rd - Sours & Saisons
Tuesday December 25th - Lagers & Ales
Thursday December 27th - Porters & Stouts
Friday December 29th - IPAs & Pale Ales
Saturday December 31st - The Polkies - Favourite Ten of 2016



Bonus Post - Worst Beer of the Year -December 25th


2015 Polkie Favourite 10
2015 Polk's Fave
1. Lake of Bays Old North Mocha Porter
2. Great Lakes Brewing Pompous Ass
3. Sawdust City Brewing Long Dark Voyage to Uranus
4. Forked River Brewing Riptide Rye Pale Ale
5. Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
6. Flying Monkey's Coast to Coastless Imperial ESB
7. Beau's All Natural Brewing Farm Table Marzen
8. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
9. Nickel Brook Brewing Kentucky Bastard
10. Grand River Brewing Curmudgeon



1 comment:

  1. I know what I'd pick for worst: A certain underaged lifestyle pilsner. The other worst beer I had this year was at least attempting something interesting that I turned out not to like.

    ReplyDelete